Posts tagged ‘Power’

Power of arrest

A Police officer has the power to arrest any person without a warrant,  (a) who has been concerned in a cognizable offence or against whom a reasonable complaint has been made (b) who has in his possession any, implement of house breaking, without lawful excuse,(c) who is a proclaimed offender (d) in whose possession stolen property is found (e) who obstructs a police officer in the execution of his duty, or who has escaped or attempts to escape from lawful custody and (f) who is a deserter from the armed forces of the Union.

When any person commits a non-cognizable offence in the presence of a police officer and refuses to gives his name and residence or gives a false name or residence, then he may be arrested by such officer in order to ascertain his name or residence.

A private person may arrest or cause to be arrested any person who in his presence commits a non bailable and cognizable offence, or any proclaimed offender, and without unnecessary delay, shall make over or cause to be made over any person so arrested to a police officer, or, in the absence of a police officer, take such person or cause him to be taken in custody to the nearest police station.

If a person forcibly resists the endeavor to arrest him, or attempts to evade the arrest, the police officer may use all means necessary to effect the arrest. However the police officer shall not cause of the death of a person, while trying to arrest, who is not accused of an offence punishable with death or with imprisonment for life.

Powers of State Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission

The Karnataka State Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission is located at Basavabhavan, Bangalore. The commission consists of a president and two members. Any person who is aggrieved by an order made by the district forum may file an appeal against such order to the State Commission, within a period of 30 days from the date of the order.

Consumer complaints where the value of the goods or services and compensations, if any, claimed exceeds Rs. Twenty Lakhs but does not exceed Rs. One Crore, shall be filed directly to the State Commission.

The commission is empowered to call for the records and pass appropriate orders in any consumer disputes, which is pending before or has been decided by any District Forum within the State, where it appears to the State Commission, that such District Forum has exercised a Jurisdiction not vested in it by Law, or has failed to exercise a jurisdiction so vested, or has acted in exercise of its Jurisdiction illegally or with material irregularity.

The State commission may, at any stage of the proceedings, transfer any complaint pending before the District Forum to another District Forum within the state if the interests of justice so requires.